To Provide exceptional Christian Spiritual, Academic and Ministerial education to men and women who will make disciples, equip Leaders and impact the communities they serve.
The one who calls you is faithful and He will do it.
– 1 Thessalonians 5:24
Training Leaders. Transforming Communities.
1977 – 1999
Established in 1977 as a part-time institution, Madras School of Evangelism was founded to train preachers and evangelists who would be firmly grounded in the Word of God and be able to lead churches in faithful ministry to Christ. We moved from Kilpauk (Central Madras) to Anna Nagar in 1987 and took the name, Madras College of Evangelism, in 1988, and then to our own campus with the name, Lakeview Bible College and Seminary in 1999. The residential Bachelor of Theology was the degree granted in that time.
1999 – 2010
With additional facilities and new buildings, women students were admitted for the first time in July 2001. The same year, students were encouraged to get involved in regular weekend ministries in churches and missions around Chennai city. The Master of Divinity programme was launched in July 2002 and offered training in two specialized majors – Church Leadership and Management and Christian Counselling. This important addition justified the term, “seminary” in our name, educating students at the post-graduate level.
From 2003, the cross-cultural missionary internships were introduced for Bachelor – and Master-level students. This was organized during summer vacation after the second year of study.
In 2007, Lakeview received full accreditation from the Asia Theological Association (ATA) for the Bachelor of Theology and Master of Divinity degrees.
In 2008, the first Lakeview Extension Centre was organized in Chennai city in English.
In 2009, a second Extension Centre was introduced in Chennai in Tamil.
In 2010, students began to serve during weekends in Andhra Pradesh.
2011 – 2019
In 2011, Lakeview Bible College and Seminary dedicated Berea Hall, our central classroom-library-office building, designed with all the infrastructure to train Christian leaders of excellence.
In 2012, Xpressions, our Media department was launched to provide training in multi-media skills to our students. A well-equipped audio studio was dedicated on the campus which enables them to create, produce, and use audio and visual media in communicating the message of Christ in more creative ways.
In 2013, we admitted our first overseas (US) students who study for an entire semester at Lakeview and have all academic credits transferred into their degrees in America. Also, in 2013, a fourth Extension Centre began in the town of Salur in Andhra Pradesh.
A new major was added in 2014 at the Master of Divinity level in Christian Missions and Media.
In 2015, the ground floor of a new men’s hostel was constructed and the first floor was added in August 2018.
In 2016, we received ATA-accreditation for an additional five years.
Since 2015, God has led us to widen the scope of our curriculum to empower students with learning resources to impact the world with more powerful, relevant, and innovative models of ministry. Training in marketplace ministries, added M.Div. majors in Media Communications (2017), and Business Entrepreneurship (2018), challenge students to explore new avenues to transform their communities for Jesus Christ.
For the past 30 years, the spiritual, academic, and ministerial training offered at Lakeview has produced many outstanding evangelists, church-planters and missionaries, School and University educators, Bible college Principals and faculty, as well as Pastors and local church leaders. We hear fascinating stories from our alumni of how God has used their lives and ministries to impact churches and their communities for Christ and His glory.
- The Christian Scriptures – the Holy Bible, comprising the 66 books of the Old and New Testaments reveal the Eternal Word of God and are the only verbal revelation of God. They are divinely-inspired and are therefore infallible, and completely trustworthy in all that they proclaim and teach.
- The New Testament of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ presents God’s agenda for the world, and so provides the standard for the life of the Christian and the church today.
- There is one personal God, Creator of all things, visible and invisible, who is eternally existent in a trinity of persons – Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
- Jesus Christ is the incarnate Son of God. He was born of a virgin, died on the cross as the perfect sacrifice for man’s sins and rose bodily on the third day. He ascended to heaven and now represents believers before God as their High Priest and Advocate.
- The Gospel is the proclamation of Jesus’ saving work for the world – his death, burial and resurrection – and calls people to receive him as Saviour and Lord of their lives.
- Belief (trust) in Jesus Christ as the only Saviour for sin, leading to repentance from sin, and baptism in water, is the normative response to the gospel found in Scripture. This faith-response justifies and forgives the believing sinner and effects his regeneration by the Holy Spirit. Justification and regeneration form the Christian doctrine of salvation.
THE HOLY SPIRIT
- Every believer in Christ must be continually filled by the Holy Spirit who sanctifies, enables and equips him to glorify God and minister His grace to the world. This filling and ministry is not necessarily accompanied by the manifestation of speaking in tongues.
CHURCH AND MISSION
- The church is the Body of Christ on earth and consists of all who have received Jesus Christ as Saviour, and Lord and are integrated into local gatherings of God’s people. These meetings help believers grow in fellowship with Christ and each other as they minister God’s salvation to the world.
- Jesus Christ is the Head of the church, and therefore, each local assembly has the privilege, under Christ’s authority, to manage its own life and ministry as an autonomous body.
- The New Testament provides the essential principles of God’s manifesto for the church’s ministry and mission.
THE SECOND COMING OF CHRIST
- Jesus Christ will return to earth in visible and bodily form to judge the living and the dead. Believers will be transformed into glorious beings enjoying eternity in God’s presence while unbelievers will be assigned to judgment and eternal punishment.
What Makes us Unique
- Academic Excellence
- Spiritual Formation
- Practical Ministry Emphasis
- Cross-Cultural Interships
- Strategic Partnerships
- Overseas Faculty-Student Exchange
- Extension Centres
- Bi-Vocational Skills
- Learning Resources
- Alumni Development
Talk to us
Lakeview Bible College & Seminary
16, 8th Main, 3rd Cross Road,
SIPCOT Industrial Park, Irungattukottai,
Chennai 602117, Tamil Nadu, India
p: +91 80569 05251